Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Millie's in our Lives


So yesterday I went to the restroom for the 100th time (one side affect of Wee Baby coming along, the bathroom has become my second office) I ran into a woman I shall call Millie. You see I personally don't know Millie, she works in an office on my floor but she a charming older woman that no matter what she has her hair done, her shoes match her outfit in color, and is the sweetest thing you have ever met. She never has an unkind word. So we always run into each other about once a week in the restroom and I always compliment her on her outfit. There are not that many people that can pull of a quilted coat or complete tangerine outfit, but hell Millie sure can!

And every time I see her and compliment her, she asks me how my day is and how darling I am. It makes me smile. I just love hanging out with all the Millies in the world, they have such interesting lives and can tell you so many stories. Millie even makes a point to walk by my office since I have a hallway window to make sure I am there that day. One day I was out and the next time she saw me she asked if I was alright. We don't even know each others names but she did wish me happy freaking birthday. I am pretty sure Millie has quilted a thousand quilts, made many apple pies for all her grandkids and no one has asked her about her former deep sea adventures (you never know).
image

A few months before I got married, my Great Aunt took me out to dinner to visit. She doesn't live far from where I work so I try to see her as often as our schedules allow, she is very much a social butterfly. Try calling her after 7 p.m. and you are screwed because her line will be busy for hours! On this one dinner occasion I asked her what she ever did for a living. Everyone in my family loves her but I don't ever recall someone telling me what she did for a profession. She could have been in a traveling circus, a clothing designer, or a professional nanny. You would never know if you didn't ask. In all honesty, every time I speak with her I get reminded of one of my favorite books, Lucia, Lucia. Really good book and the author is an Italian American.

She told me all about how she used to work at a large department store selling Satin Stockings when she was a teenager. Then stopped working for a short time when she got married. Due some circumstances, she found a job with a Shipping company for imports and exports. She started off as a secretary and eventually became the only woman in the Fleet office directing sailors where to go and even assisting families to relocate.

 She held that position and an HR position for so long. It truly touched me how much a like we are.

I love my Great Aunt, she is my personal Millie and how she always has her hair in place and does not like it when people see her without her "face" on. Anytime she has been in the hospital, she gets upset if she doesn't have make up on and how unrepresentable, but I think she is more beautiful than ever. I just love how independent she is and how much she cares about all her great nieces and nephews (all 70+ of us) and is completely over joyed about Wee Baby coming. She always calls me Elizabeth Taylor because I look a lot like her and tend to be reserve like her. I like to imagine she once sold panty hose to Elizabeth Taylor. She is the living example of Live, Laugh, Love.
 

So find you a Millie in your life and Live, Laugh, and Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment