Friday, March 1, 2013

Slight Food Fustration


So here we are, Hubby and I are ending week 18 of our pregnancy. Not gonna lie, I have had it pretty easy compared to others. I know of others who can't get out of bed due to morning sickness, bad cramps, and then those who have two year olds. Those people just look at me and ask if I am ready, and I figure if I can get the Diva of Diva's to say please and thank you and become America's Sweetheart in one short summer, I can handle my own kid, stay tuned.

My one complaint, is that I have become a slightly picky eater. I HATE that feeling. Trust me, I want to try it, I really really do, but I have had limitations. I love salads, and now I have to take them slow because they sound good but not always taste good. Cheese, certain cheeses just throw me off my game, luckily on valentine's day Hubby was all to kind to switch dishes with me when I made that mistake. (After working in restaurants for so long, I hate sending food back if it's not the waiter or the establishment's fault. I chose it, I need to suck it up.) What is even worse is coffee. My stomach does back flips when I smell it, which doesn't help with my new super power, Super Keen Smell. That's right, I can smell you from a mile away, so forget trying to attack or surprise me, I know you are coming. There was a magical week when I could drink it again, but then something happened over the weekend or the baby took the week off. One or the other.


So poor Hubby has been so patient with my limitations and super supportive. He worries, but don't worry I am not starving and my belly proves the baby is getting enough nutrients. But last night I just really wanted something with vegetables and I had to trick my belly/baby to accept these with out me suffering. So I thought, why not a chicken and broccoli casserole. Now my casserole has way more than those two things.

So for picky eaters, young and old a like, I hope you love this simple, quick and very yummy recipe.

Start off with:
  • A cup of uncooked rice (go ahead and make to hearts desire)
  • 2-3 three heads of fresh broccoli. Frozen is fine, but they come out to the same most of the times, so I usually go fresh.
  • a handful of fresh spinach, again canned or frozen is fine, we try to eat as fresh as possible.
  • 6 small mushrooms/4 large
  • 2 yellow squash (optional, I just happened to have them)
  • Chicken, we made some the night before but use 1-2 chicken breasts)
  • 1 can of cream of mushroom
Ok so go ahead and start slicing and sauteing your chicken if it's not already cooked.  Then start on the rice. Remember 1 cup ends up being 3 cups, so you will have left overs.

Now with your chicken cooked, start adding your chopped veggies, I usually leave mushrooms and spinach last, because those cook so quickly in a pan. Broccoli & squash and as those soften then add the rest. You might want to pick a bigger pan than I did, because mine got full pretty quick. Baby needs those veggies!


When your rice is close to done, more than al dente but in that creamy stage, transfer it to your pan. Then add your can of cream of mushroom and a little water. Now mix all together. Your cream of mushroom is the glue to the casserole. Once it's all mixed thoroughly, you are done! If it's a little stiff, just a little water bit by bit.


No serve in a bowl and enjoy! I sure did!!!

As always, Live, Laugh, Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment